The Lake Oswego Parks and Recreation Department is holding the first ever “Runway on the Lake,” on Sunday, April 6, at 2:00 p.m. at the Adult Community Center. If fashion guru Tim Gunn wasn’t already tied up, I’m sure he’d be there. Here’s why.
- It’s an inaugural event. Gunn helped launch Project Runway and look what it’s done to stimulate everyone’s interest in the fashion industry. Surely he would support this first-time event designed to showcase local retailers.
- It appeals to all ages. Project Runway is one of those guilty pleasures for a lot of people from Conan O’Brien and construction workers (it’s got Heidi Klum, remember?) to teenage girls and working women. Runway on the Lake aims to appeal to a broad audience too. “Our primary goal was to produce a new event that appealed to all ages. We wanted to create something that was truly intergenerational—an event that grandmothers, mothers, and granddaughters could enjoy,” explains Jamie Inglis with the Parks and Recreation Department.
- It features celebrities. While Project Runway makes celebrities out of its winning designers, it has also featured celebrities as guest judges including Natalie Portman, Brooke Shields, and LL Cool J. Runway on the Lake will feature several local personalities as models including:
●three time Cupcake War champion Kyra Bussanich
●Kelly Calabria, owner of the award-winning Kelly’s Jelly, along with her two daughters and husband
● Blake and Marta Zoglman, owners of the Oilerie in Lake Oswego
●Officer Keith Wilson of the Lake Oswego Police Department and Batallion Chief David Morris
●as well as more surprise guests!
- Local retailers are “making it work.” One of Tim Gunn’s most famous lines from Project Runway is, “Make it work,” as he tells the contestants to work with what they have to produce a winning design. Local retailers are pitching in to outfit the models with what they have to produce a winning look. You’ll be amazed at the fashion haven Lake Oswego has become. Look for pieces from:
●Accessories from the Heart
●Chico’s Lake Oswego
●Lake Oswego Municipal Golf Course
●New to You: Simply Posh
●The Clothes Closet
- Tea will be served. In one of his home visits in Season 10, Gunn sat down for a spot of tea with winner Dmitry Sholokhov so chances are he’d enjoy the afternoon tea planned for the fashion show. It promises to be authentic, thanks to the input of Lady Di’s, complete with sandwiches, scones, shortbread and other tasty goodies.
I love sharing my passion for everything Lake Oswego with you in this blog. Consider subscribing so you can fall in love with this town just like I have. Hit the “Sign me up” button in the top right hand column.
And if you have a “reason to love Lake Oswego” you’d like me to highlight, leave a comment.