If you follow my blog, you know that Lake Oswego is a unique place to live. Of course, residents of New York or San Francisco might make the same claims. BUT…can they say this?
Only in Lake Oswego….
- does the hometown you were excited to leave as a kid now serve as your favorite vacation spot as an adult (my 27 year old son visited three times this summer for anywhere from 5 to 10 days).
- would motorists wait patiently and applaud two rescuers who stop traffic to herd a mama duck and her three ducklings off a busy street and on to a safe place.
- can you ring in the New Year by bundling up in your wet suit and Santa hat and skiing on the lake.
- does the police department field calls from the likes of a driver who wants to file charges against a motorist for flipping him off to a daughter whose mother locked her out of the house for refusing to clean her room.
- would a bubble be something you live in, can’t wait to get out of, and then when you’re ready to raise a family, be something you want to get back into.
- can you finally convince “an outsider” to join you when you visit and then have him ask to join you every time you return (one of my son’s friends visited Lake Oswego for Hot August Night last year and just completed his third return visit with a fourth scheduled for this year’s Hot August Night)
- will volunteers get up before dawn to hang over 250 flower baskets throughout town (after many of those volunteers have already donated money to fund those baskets!)
- can you celebrate the 4th of July with a boat parade AND a kids parade down main street.
- does the maintenance department have a “duck rescue crew” to retrieve ducks from places like storm drains.
- can a school Foundation raise a record $304,000 in one month’s phonathon.
- does the library give away close to 1,000 FREE books to local bookworms as part of their community-wide reading program.
- does a neighborhood block party take place on the water every year in August.
How would you finish this sentence—“Only in Lake Oswego…” Leave your suggestions here for all our readers to enjoy.