Car and boat buffs have lots to look forward to in Lake Oswego this weekend.
The Oswego Heritage Council is hosting its 16th annual Collector Car & Classic Boat Show August 22-23 at three venues in Lake Oswego: George Rogers Park, Foothills Park Marina and the Lake Oswego Corporation docks on Lakewood Bay. Cars and boats will be on display Sunday, August 23 from 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
But you don’t have to be a car or boat nut to enjoy this show. There’s more to take in than just your reflection off the side of a shiny 1971 Mercedes Benz 280SE. Just look.
1. Stories. One thing boat and car lovers love to do is talk about their cars and boats. Whether it’s where they originally found their classic 1965 Ford Mustang or how many hours it took them to restore the mahogany deck on their 1961 Cruiser, you’ll find storytellers looking for an audience.
2. History. The PT Boat 658, which is the only World War II PT boat still seaworthy, will be on display at the Foothills Park marina along with amphibious military vehicles. It arrives Saturday, August 22, at 10:00 a.m.
3. Trivia. Last year there was a lilac Morris Minor, one of my favorite oldies. It was part of a special collection to celebrate the production of a million Morris Minors. Why lilac? Seems the paint technicians couldn’t guarantee the preferred color of metallic gold or silver to last beyond six months. That left a committee staring at shades of lime-green, pink, yellow, orange and lilac. All they could agree on was it shouldn’t be orange (obviously not a Beaver fan in the bunch) and that one of their members, Jack Field, should choose the color. Lilac it was…and still is to this day.
4. Vintage Water Show. Those gracious water skiers in their retro polka dot attire will return along with some comic relief. The show will be start at 1:00 p.m. on Lakewood Bay.
5. Pancakes and hamburgers. In case you didn’t get your fill on the Fourth of July, you can grab some of the Lions Club’s infamous pancakes in George Rogers Park from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. before they start flipping burgers.
Lake Oswego has some classic homes for sale too. If you’re interested in taking a look, give me a call at 503.939.9801. I’d love to show you around.