Lake Oswegans don’t have to travel far the next two weekends to enjoy a night of top-notch, high energy entertainment. Both high schools’ show choirs will be staging their annual variety shows. Here’s a sneak preview:
This year’s Lake Oswego Windjammers Variety Show is offering a 2-for-1 deal: entertainment for folks who like music and movies. With the theme, “A Night at the Movies,” the high school’s performance choir is showcasing some of your favorite tunes from your favorite films. Keep an eye out for these highlights.
- An arrangement of Straight No Chaser’s comical movie medley that weaves together music from such a disparate lineup as James Bond, ET, Forrest Gump, Star Wars, Titanic, Indiana Jones and Rocky.
- A tribute to Prince. The show will take place almost one year since the music icon died so it seems fitting that the cast will pay their respects with a powerful rendition of “Purple Rain.”
- Small group numbers will also draw from the big screen and highlight such favorites as “I Wanna Be Like You” from The Jungle Book, and “Into the West” from Lord of the Rings.
- Junior Windjammers, from grades K-5, are always a crowd favorite and they return this year singing and dancing to “Hakuna Matata” at the Saturday, April 15 performance. New this year will be a performance by Encore, an auditioned show choir at Lake Oswego Junior High School. They too will be singing “Hakuna Matata” when they join Windjammers on Friday, April 14.
The show runs Thursday, April 13 through Saturday, April 15 at 7:00 p.m. in the Lake Oswego High School Auditorium, 2501 Country Club Road. Tickets are $10/Adults; $8/Seniors, students, children.
- A fun twist on the Smash Mouth song “All Star” based on the No Reply cover.
- A silly version of the Backstreet Boys’ “I Want It That Way.”
- Accompaniment by the Lakeridge Stage Band including a feature of their own, The Buddy Rich arrangement of “Norwegian Wood.”
- The song a book has been written about: The Holy or the Broken: Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, and the Unlikely Ascent of “Hallelujah.” You’ll find it hard to imagine that this song languished in obscurity for years before becoming popularized on American Idol, Shrek, and the O.C. Singer/songwriter Cohen died in 2016 but Company does him justice.
Company’s performances are Thursday through Saturday, April 20-22, at 7:30 p.m. as well as a Saturday matinee at 2:00 p.m. Tickets are $12/Adults; $8/Students and Seniors for the 7:30 performance and $5 for the matinee.
Don’t miss out on things to do and places to see here in Lake Oswego, Oregon. Click the “Sign me up” button in the top right hand column and receive weekly updates on “52 Reasons to Love Lake Oswego.” And if you’re thinking about moving to town or relocating within our city, and are looking for a Realtor who really knows Lake Oswego, give me a call at 503.939.9801 or check my website. I know the neighborhoods and I know the market. I’d love to help you enjoy all that Lake Oswego has to offer.