Lake Oswego’s Maher family is giving you a perfect excuse to party this weekend at their third annual St. Patrick’s Day Festival held at Maher’s Irish Brew Pub, 352 B Avenue in Lake Oswego. Events run from Thursday, March 15 through Sunday, March 18. Need an excuse? Pick one.
1. You need a bagpipe fix. If there’s one sound that transports you quickest to the Emerald Isle, it could be bagpipes..and it’s a lot cheaper than buying an airplane ticket. Maher’s uses bagpipers to kick off their festival on Thursday, March 15 at 5:15 p.m. and brings them back again on Saturday, March 17 at noon and 4:00 p.m.
2. This year’s Lord of the Dance tour isn’t stopping in Portland. Who needs the Lord of the Dance when we have Maher’s Irish Dancers right in town? My two daughters are alums of Gabrielle Maher’s Irish Dance School and I can attest—they put on a high stepping, smile generating show. Catch them throughout the weekend.
3. You want to find out why Irish eyes are smiling—it could have something to do with the liquid libations that will be flowing over the weekend. “There’s going to be a lot of Guiness being poured,” Kevin Maher predicts.
4. You’re in search of “craic.” The closest English translation to this Gaelic word is fun or having a good time. Chances are you’ll find some at Maher’s Pub during the festivities.
5. You’re in the mood for a good story.You’ll find that…set to music that is, as bands including Triúr Amadán, The Lost Highwaymen, and The Back Alley String Band play many of the Irish folk song favorites that speak of love, betrayal, robbery, drink, and traveling with pigs.
6. You have a hankering for traditional Irish fare. Maher’s menu will be condensed during the festival to highlight the traditional Irish offerings like corned beef and fish and chips.
7. Your kids are looking for something to do. Sunday is family day from 12-5 p.m. with kid-friendly activities like arts and crafts, face painting, Irish wolf hounds and the Maher’s Irish Dance School.
8. You can donate to a good cause. Maher’s is hosting an auction to benefit Our Lady of the Lake school on Sunday at 3 p.m.
9. You’d like to practice your Irish brogue as you raise your glass and say, “Sláinte!” (To your health)
10. You want to see if there’s any truth to the saying, “If you’re lucky enough to be Irish, then you’re lucky enough.” Enter Sunday’s poker tournament beginning at 8 p.m. Free Timbers tickets and gift certificates await the top three finishers.
Speak up if you’re Irish and let us know how you plan on celebrating St. Paddy’s Day.
Check out the new “What’s Happening in Lake Oswego” feature in the right hand column. And then consider subscribing to this blog so you can keep tabs on what’s going on in our community. Just click the “Sign me up” button at the top of the column and updates will automatically be delivered to your inbox.